Curriculum Vitae: Boris Veniaminovich Fine
Assocaite Professor, Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology, Skolkovo, Russia
Address : Institute for
69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Telephone: +49 (6221) 54 5038
Fax: +49 (6221) 54 9331
Institute of Science and Technology
100 Novaya str.
Skolkovo, Odintsovsky district
Moscow Region 143025
Telephone: +7 (495) 280 14 81 ext. 3325
Fax: +7 (495) 280 14 82
1994, M.S., Department of General and Applied Physics, Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology .
2000, Ph.D., Department of Physics,
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign,
Ph.D. thesis title: ``Theory of high-temperature spin dynamics.''
Advisor: A. J. Leggett
2013, Habilitation, Department of
Physics and Astronomy, University of
I organized and was the director of PhysTech-College, the center for extra-curricular studies of
mathematics, physics and English for high school students. In the Spring of 1994, more than
hundred students attended PhysTech-College . The courses were taught by two professors and ten
teaching assistants. Phystech-College has expanded since then. In 2011, PhysTech-College possessed the
largest network of educational centers in Russia (source PhysTech-College website) with several thousand
students attending its courses.
1995-2000, Urbana, USA,
Alternatingly teaching or research assistant in the Physics Department, University of Illinois at
2000-2002, Utrecht, Netherlands,
Postdoctoral research associate at Spinoza Institute, Utrecht University.
2003-2004, Dresden, Germany
Postdoctoral research associate at Max Plank Institute for the Physics of Complex Systems.
Dec. 2004 - Jan. 2008,
Postdoctoral research associate Physics Department, University of Tennessee, Knoxville / Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
Jan. 2008 - Aug. 2013
Leader of Young Investigators Group: Quantum Dynamics and Complex Quantum Systems
Institute for Theoretical Physics and Graduate School of Fundamental Physics, Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Heidelberg
Aug. 2013 – June 2014
Professor, Department of Physics, School of Science and Technology, Nazarbayev University
July 2014 – present
Associate Professor, Skolkovo
Institute of Science and Technology
1994, M.S. with highest honors (Summa Cum Laude), Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology.
1998, Jordan Asketh Fellowship, Physics Department, University of Illinois. (The fellowship is annually awarded ``to an outstanding European [graduate] student who displays excellence and originality in a scientific field...'')
1998-99, Harry Drickamer Research Fellowship,
University of Illinois. (awarded "for excellence in physics
2015, Best performance recognition, Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology
and quantum-to-classical transition in nonequilibrium many-body
chaos, decoherence, foundations of quantum statistical physics;
spin dynamics, spin-spin relaxation in nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR);
high-temperature superconductivity, stripes/inhomogeneities in high-Tc cuprates;
1) B. V. Fine, NMR Spin-Spin Relaxation as
Kinetics in Spin Phase Space , Phys.Rev.Lett.
79, 4673 (1997) (e-print cond-mat/9707249).
2) B. V. Fine, Theory of high-temperature spin dynamics,
Ph. D. thesis, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign,
3) J. P. R. Bakker, P. J. S. van Capel, B. V. Fine, and J.
I. Dijkhuis, Generaration-Recombination noise in a-Si:H
Studied by Device Simulations, MRS
Proceedings 715, A2.6, (2002), http://www.thphys.uni-heidelberg.de/~fine/mrs2002.doc
4) B. V. Fine, Universal Long-Time Relaxation
on the Lattice of Classical Spins: Markovian Behavior on
non-Markovian Timescales, J.
Stat. Phys. 112, 319 (2003) (e-print
5) B. V. Fine, J. P. R. Bakker and J. I. Dijkhuis, Long-range
1/f noise in hydrogenated amorphous silicon, Phys.
Rev. B 68, 125207 (2003)
6) J. P. R. Bakker, P. J. S. van
Capel, B. V. Fine, and J. I. Dijkhuis, New experimental
evidence for the role of long-range potential fluctuations in
the mechanism of 1/f noise in a-Si:H, J.
Non-Cryst. Solids 338-340, 310 (2004),
7) B. V. Fine, Hypothesis of two-dimensional stripe
arrangement and its implications for the superconductivity in
high-Tc cuprates, Phys.
Rev. B 70, 224508
(2004), (e-print cond-mat/0308428
8) B. V. Fine, Long-Time Relaxation on Spin
Lattice as a Manifestation of Chaotic Dynamics ,
Int. J. Mod. Phys. B 18, 1119 (2004), (e-print cond-mat/9911230).
9) B. V. Fine, J. P. R. Bakker and
J. I. Dijkhuis, Long-range fluctuations of random
potential landscape as a mechanism of 1/f noise in
hydrogenated amorphous silicon , Fluctuations and
Noise Letters 5, L443-L456 (2005), preprint http://www.thphys.uni-heidelberg.de/~fine/fnl.pdf
10) B. V. Fine, Superconductivity in the background of two-dimensional stripe superstructure, in "New Challenges in Superconductivity: Experimental Advances and Emerging Theories", edited by J. Ashkenazi, M.V. Eremin, J. L. Cohn, I. Eremin, D. Manske, D. Pavuna, and F. Zuo (Kluwer Academic Publishers), pp. 159-164 (2004), (e-print cond-mat/0404488).
11) B. V. Fine, F. Mintert and A. Buchleitner, Equilibrium entanglement vanishes at
Phys. Rev. B 71, 153105 (2005), (e-print cond-mat/0505739 ).
12) B. V. Fine, Temperature
dependence of the superconducting gap in high-Tc cuprates,
Phys. Rev. Lett. 94, 157005 (2005) (e-print cond-mat/0408211).
13) B.V. Fine, Long-time
behavior of spin echo, Phys.
Rev. Lett. 94, 247601 (2005) (e-print cond-mat/0411345).
14) B. V. Fine, Interpretation of low-temperature nuclear quadrupole resonance spectra in La(1.875)Ba(0.125)CuO(4) in terms of two-dimensional spin superstructure, Phys. Rev. B 75, 014205 (2007), (e-print cond-mat/0606300)
15) B. V. Fine, Magnetic
vortices instead of stripes: another interpretation of magnetic
neutron scattering in lanthanum cuprates, Phys. Rev. B 75, 060504
16) B. V. Fine and T. Egami, Phase
vicinity of quantum-critical doping concentration: Implications
for high-temperature superconductors, Phys. Rev. B 77, 014519
(2008) (eprint arXive:0707.3994 )
17) B. Fine and T. Egami,
Intermediate spin-charge order in the cuprates, Journal
Series 108, 012005 (2008)
18) S. W. Morgan, B. V. Fine, and B. Saam, Universal Long-Time Behavior of Nuclear Spin Decays in a Solid, Phys. Rev. Lett. 101, 067601 (2008), (eprint arXiv:0805.1751)19) B. V. Fine, Typical state of an isolated quantum system with fixed energy and unrestricted participation of eigenstates, Phys. Rev. E 80, 051130 (2009), (eprint arXiv:0903:0626 )
21) T. Egami, B.V. Fine, D. Parshall, A.
Subedi and D. J. Singh, Spin-Phonon
and Superconductivity in Fe Pnictides, Adv.
Mat. Phys. 2010, 164916
22) B. V. Fine, Implications of magnetic vortex lattice scenario for
1/8-doped lanthanum cuprates, J.
Supercond. Nov. Magn. 24,
1207 (2011) (eprint arXiv:0810.1889).
23) E. G. Sorte, B. V. Fine and B. Saam, Long-time behavior of nuclear spin
decays in various lattices, Phys. Rev.
B 83, 064302 (2011)
24) F. Hantschel and B. V. Fine, Monte Carlo sampling of energy-constrained quantum
superpositions in high-dimensional Hilbert spaces, Eur.
J. D 63, 73 (2011)
25) K. Ji and B. V. Fine, Non-thermal
in isolated quantum spin clusters after a series of
Rev. Lett. 107, 050401
(2011) (eprint arXiv:1102.3651 )
26) W. Hahn and B. V. Fine, Non-Entangling
for Multiple Collisions of Quantum Wave Packets, Phys.
A 85, 032713
(2012) (eprint arXiv:1104.5421
27) E. G. Sorte, B. V. Fine and B. Saam, Phase relationship between the
long-time beats of free induction decays and spin echoes in
Rev. B 85, 174425
(2012) (eprint arXiv:1102.0527 )
28) A. S. de Wijn, B. Hess and B. V. Fine, Largest Lyapunov exponents for the
lattices of interacting classical spins, Phys.
Rev. Lett. 109, 034101
(2012) (eprint arXiv:1205.2901)
29) B. V. Fine, T. A. Elsayed, E. G. Sorte and B. Saam, Asymptotic and intermediate
long-time behavior of nuclear free induction decays in
polycrystalline solids and powders, Phys. Rev.
B 86, 054439 (2012) (eprint arXiv:1201.1793)
30) C. M. Kropf and B. V. Fine, Nonsecular resonances for the
coupling between nuclear spins in solids, Phys. Rev.
B 86, 094401 (2012) (eprint arXiv:1108.3997 )
31) B. V. Fine and F. Hantschel, An alternative to the conventional micro-canonical ensemble, Physica Scripta T151, 014078 (2012) (eprint arXiv:1010.4673)
32) J. G. Brandenburg and B. V. Fine, Dimensionality of spin modulations in 1/8-doped lanthanum cuprates from the perspective of NQR and muSR experiments, J. Supercond. Nov. Magn. 26, 2621 (2013) (eprint arXiv:1209.1934 ).
33) T. A. Elsayed, B. V. Fine, Regression relation for pure quantum states and its implications for efficient computing, Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 070404 (2013) (eprint arXiv:1208.4652 )
34) A. S. de Wijn, B. Hess, and B. V. Fine, Lyapunov instabilities in lattices of interacting classical spins at infinite temperature, J. Phys. A: Math. Theor. 46 254012 (2013) [Special issue on Lyapunov analysis] (2013) eprint arXiv:1209.1468
35) B. V. Fine, T. A. Elsayed, C. M. Kropf, and A. S. de Wijn, Absence of exponential sensitivity to small perturbations in nonintegrable systems of spins 1/2, Phys. Rev. E 89, 012923 (2014)
(eprint arXiv:1305.2817 )
36) T. A. Elsayed, B. Hess and B. V. Fine, Signatures of chaos in time series generated by many-spin systems at high temperatures, Phys. Rev. E 90, 022910 (2014) (eprint arXiv:1105.4575 )
41) F. Kolley, O. Bohigas and B. V. Fine, Quantum
quenches with random matrix Hamiltonians and disordered
potentials, (2012) eprint arXiv:1209.2954
42) C. M. Kropf, J. Kohlrautz, J. Haase, and B. V. Fine, Anomalous longitudinal relaxation of nuclear spins in CaF2, arXiv:1510.06589 (2015)43) W. Hahn, B.V. Fine, Stability of quantum statistical ensembles with respect to local measurements, arXiv:1601.06402 (2016)
Electricity and Magnetism + Modern Physics course for pre-med students, University of Tennessee, Summer 2006;
“Nuclear spin dynamics in solids: computational challenges and microscopic chaos”, Univ. Heidelberg, Graduate Days, March 2008;
Introduction to State Physics, Skoltech, Fall 2014
Advanced Solid State Physics, Skoltech, Fall 2015
2008-2013: Co-organizer of a semi-annual graduate school at
the University of Heidelberg called Graduate Days.
2014 – present: Coordinator of Energy educational program + coordinator of Master of Science program in Applied Mathematics and Physics, Skoltech
raising three children, chess, table