Master Seminar "Top-Quark Physics"
Fridays, 14:15 - 16:00, Philosophenweg 12, seminar room 107 b.
First meeting: Friday, April 22, 2016.
In this seminar, we will discuss the physics of the top-quark from a theory perspective. Among the elementary particles we know of today, the top-quark has special properties: It is much heavier than all other quarks and couples strongly to the Higgs boson. Within the standard model, the top-quark thus plays an important role in many particle interactions at the Large Hadron Collider and other collider experiments. Beyond the standard model, studying the top-quark might lead us towards a possible completion of our theory at very high energies. We will also explore the rich phenomenology of this fast-decaying heavy particle, which helps us understanding its properties in detail.
- Indirect evidence of a top-quark
- The top-quark discovery
- Production and decay at colliders
- Precise predictions for top-quark production
- Testing the top-quark properties in the standard model
- The top-quark in flavor physics
- Top-quark and Higgs physics
- The electroweak hierarchy
- Top partners
- Models of new physics with top-quarks
- Testing top-quark physics beyond the standard model at the LHC
Each student will give a 45-minutes presentation on one of the topics. We will distribute the topics at our first meeting. In addition, you will hand in a write-up of 5-8 pages that summarizes your topic. This write-up is due 2 weeks after your presentation.
If you plan to attend the seminar, please contact me by email: westhoff[at]thphys.uni-heidelberg.de.
To be equipped with background knowledge for this seminar, you should have attended at least one of the courses listed below (or equivalent courses).
- J. Kuehn, Theory of Top Quark Production and Decay (Lectures at SLAC Summer Institute, 1995)
- S. Dawson, The Top Quark, QCD, and New Physics (TASI Lectures, 2002)
- M. Beneke et al. Top Quark Physics (LHC Yellow Report)
- W. Bernreuther Top Quark Physics at the LHC
- K. Kroeninger, A. Meyer, P. Uwer, Top-Quark Physics at the LHC
- R.K. Ellis, W.J. Sterling, B.R. Webber, ''QCD and Collider Physics'', Chapter 10: Heavy Quarks, Cambridge University Press, ISBN 0 521 58189 3
- LHC ATLAS Top Public Results
- LHC CMS Physics Results Top
- Tevatron CDF Top Quark Physics Public Results
- Tevatron D0 Top/Higgs Group
- Top-quark discovery at the Tevatron, 1995
Schedule and materialare available here.
If you have been accepted as a participant, please register here. (First log in using your URZ account; then join group 'Top Students' by clicking "anmelden" at the bottom of the page.)